September 30, 2019
Pastor’s Fall Conference September30 – October 2, 2019
Minot, ND Theme: Church and Ministry
- Main Speaker – Rev. Dr. Brian Saunders (Iowa East District President)
- Conference Chairman is Jonathan Durkopp. Conference Secretary is Brian Shane.
- The host congregation is St. Mark’s Lutheran- Location: 2209 4th NW, Minot, ND 58703, 701-839-4663. All sessions will be there in their fellowship hall.
- There is a block of rooms at the Sierra Inn (701-837-1800) at a group rate of $58.00 plus tax. Their address is 929 20th Ave. SE, Minot, ND 58701 (Next to or close to Kroll’s Diner). Call the motel direct and ask for the ND District LCMS. You must reserve your room by September 19, 2019.
NOTE: The Sierra Inn does not have a breakfast.
- Registration – $75, made out to “North Dakota District LCMS”
- Attendance at pastor’s conferences is “obligatory” (Synod Handbook 4.8.2.d.1). This allows you to inform your congregation that attending the fall and spring conferences is a part of being their called pastor in the LCMS.
Monday, September 30, 2019
1:00-1:30 Registration at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Minot
1:30-1:45 Opening Devotion (Northwest Circuit and throughout the conference)
1:45-1:50 Welcome and Introductions (President Bertsch)
1:50-3:10 Ordination from the Saxon Homeland and Martin Stephen (Rev. Dr. Brian Saunders)
3:30-5:00 The Saxon Response to Johann Grabau’s Hertinbrief and Their Concern over Ordination (Rev. Dr. Brian Saunders)
5:00-5:15 Closing Devotion for the day
(Supper on your own)
7:00 Worship Service, at St. Mark’s Lutheran, Minot (Preacher – President Bertsch)
Tuesday, October 1, 2019
8:30-8:50 Morning Devotion
8:50-10:20 An Exegetical Dialogue with Wilhelm Loehe and Walther on Ordination (Rev. Dr. Brian Saunders)
10:40-12:00 AC XIV and Ordination in Walther’s Church and Office (Rev. Dr. Brian Saunders)
12:00-1:30 Lunch (on your own)
1:30-3:00 Casuistry, Questions, and Conclusions (Rev. Dr. Brian Saunders)
3:30-4:00 Business Manager Report (Tami Ulland)
4:00-4:30 District President Report (President Bertsch)
4:30-4:45 Closing Devotion
The evening is yours; after 6:00 pm you are welcome to the District Office for Cheese and Crackers and Wine.
Wednesday, October 2, 2019
8:30-9:00 Morning Devotion
9:00-11:15 Conference Business
- WITNESS: Planting and Revitalizing Congregations
(Rev. Zelwyn Heide)
- MERCY: International Mercy Care (Jones) AND
- Local Mercy Care (In conversation with two about this)
- LIFE TOGETHER: Ordained and Commissioned Ministers (Jahnke) And
Youth/Young Adults (Pat Sabastian and
Rev. Jon Bonine) AND
Stewardship (Voth) AND
District Handbook (Peters) AND
Salary Guidelines (Schulz) AND
Life Coordinator (Rev. Matthew Tooman)
11:15-11:30 Closing Conference Devotion
- 2020 Spring Pastor’s Conference, May 4-6, Fargo
- 2020 Fall Pastor’s Conference, October 5-6, Bismarck
- 2021 District Convention, January 25-27, Fargo